Wednesday, January 7, 2015

I am my mother's daughter

I grew up in what I commonly referred to as a three ring circus without any tents. Chaos was the general mood around the house and rightly so since my parents took the whole multiply and replenish the earth thing as a personal challenge. Or perhaps they misunderstood that they were not solely responsible for the future population and that others would share in that burden. Either way the littles far outweighed the olds and so things like grocery shopping and cleaning out the fridge fell pretty low on the priority list. It was not at all uncommon to find cheese that had started to grow mold and the standard answer was always just cut it off it will be fine. I would like to say that my mother has grown out of this phase but alas I was told this exact same phrase two weeks ago.  
Today I found myself alone with the boys for dinner and since I didn't have to worry about impressing them with my culinary prowess I decided to make real people tacos for dinner. Several years ago I made fish tacos with a corn jicama salsa for dinner and upon presenting it Thing one promptly asked for- you guessed it- real people tacos. Apparently ground beef and crunchy shells meet that criterion.  I just so happened to have a box of these puppies that have been dying to make an entrance so I figured it was a sign from above.


I set about cooking and popped the shells in the oven as per the instructions and was getting ready to give myself a gold star for scrubbing bathrooms and making dinner instead of letting them eat out which is what I normally do when Myers is gone when I noticed a funny smell in the air. I was perplexed and set about finding the source. Much to my chagrin it was coming from the oven. Then I flipped the package of and the mystery was solved


Yup they are expired by YEARS! The reality that I am becoming my mother set in when I tried to convinced myself that they would be just fine. I took a bite just to prove it. Turns out there is no amount of sour cream salsa or cheese that would cover that rank flavor. Even if I did take the time to cut the mold off.

No comments:

Post a Comment