Monday, October 5, 2015

On a huffy

During the dog days of summer when it was so hot outside my brain became a little fuzzy I suggested that we should try to bike all the way  out to Big Judd's. As soon as I chilled my blood stream down with its natural contents, read Dr. Pepper, I quickly abandoned this stupid plan. Apparently Thing 2 has not forgotten and so he asked if we were ever going to try the Big Jug's challenge. Let it be stated that I think it is hi-larious that they think it is big jugs so I have never corrected them. This may backfire years from now when they find a nudie bar with the same title and go wandering on in for some tater tots but I will deal with that when it happens.
So being that we live in agricultural Idaho we are granted a week to pick spuds. I can't even keep a house plant alive let alone hundreds of acres of tubers so for us we just have nothing but time on our hands. With that time we decided to bike out to the middle of no where  and have ourselves a hamburger. Turns out it is an 18.2 mile round trip journey. Here is the acccount
12:00 we set out after rigging the boys up with camel packs so we don't risk the horrible side effects of dehydration.  Here we are in all of our naivety thinking that this is a good plan.
12:06 We are now in the land of no sidewalks and not so safely planted in the middle of a highway. I try to distract myself with the splendor of nature and the perfect weather and to ignore the fear that at any given moment we could be killed
12:12 Thing 1 has now noticed that we are in possible grave danger and he is interrupting my attempts at tranquility to point out how close the cars are and how fast they are going that kid is fast becoming a buzz kill.
12:18 I am now as equally freaked out as my off spring and I am trying desperatly to keep my mind off of it. Luckily I noticed that I am starving and start to consider hoping the fence to share the grass with all the horses we are passing. This keeps me occupied for the next 20 minutes
12:38 We are now turning off the main highway onto a lovely country road. We have now passed the longest continuous set of miles we have ever cycled in one stretch and every single one of us is feeling it. It then occurs to me that while we have done 6 straight miles we have always had the luxury of stop lights and cross roads to allow our butt cheeks a chance to rest. In the country there are no such luxuries and I am starting to really hate myself for allowing an 8 year old to pick the family activity. Luckily for all of us the aforementioned 8 year old announces that he has to whiz on account of he has sucked his camel pack dry. Seeing my chance for a rest I allow him to pee on the weeds. I also took the chance to snap a picture. He was offened that he was not in it. I tried to explain that nobody wants to see him relieving himself but he thinks that I am trying to pull a fast one on him.
12:46 All hell breaks loose as we encounter the dreaded farm dog who is giant, loose, and fond of chasing things. I am starting to wonder if I have the emotional fortitude to kick a dog in the face in front of my children when I spot a horse boner. I then have an internal battle as I try to decide which one to focus on. The ultimate sign of good luck or the blood thirsty hound. Adrenalin kicks in and I just pedal faster and miss both. I am still not sure if I should be grateful or angry
12:52 Thing 2 throws his bike down in the middle of the road for no reason and goes running in the opposite direction which causes some concern. Turns out he found a wrench and like his grandfather can't leave things on the road. He then proceeds to tell Myers that whoever lost it was obviously a nincompoop. When he tried to correct him on this thought process he says fine then they are a hippocrisp. Not sure what that is but I laugh. Until I realize that I am STILL on my bike then I cry a little.
12:54 Thing 2 throws his bike down in the middle of the road this time he is inspecting something very closely
It was a super hairy caterpillar which warranted a second stop and possible damage to his bike.
He tells me it is natures pipe cleaner. I wanted to ask what the hell mother nature needed a pipe cleaner for but realized it was my hanger talking and so I bite my tongue.
1:05 I am starting to think we are never going to get there and I am thinking about just asking a farmer for lunch. Thing 1 is in the same boat and by this point  we are all spent when Myers announce only 5 more minutes.
1:08 Thing 2 sees a praying mantis but by some act of God does not throw his bike down
1:12 google maps lies but we have finally arrived. We look like the cat has drug us through all sorts of things and we are starving and are grateful when the waitress brings us drinks the size of our heads
1:20 FOOD! We eat until we were sick and then climbed back on our bikes for another 9 miles back in. The burger was good the tots exceptional and the company divine!
Moral of the story we are capable of hard things and when you do hard things you are rewarded with free wrenches. Or something like that




1 comment:

  1. How do you see so many horse boners? I can't believe you biked 18.2 miles for a Big "Jugs" 😂😂😂😂. There food is delicious, but that is a long ass way. Well done Myers!

    ReplyDelete